Saturday, September 17, 2011

"Just Be Yourself"

Hey everyone,
It's been a long time since I've posted on the blog. Maybe it's time to write again. haha...what do you tihnk?

Anyways, I was thinking about a discusion I had with my teacher the other day after she realized that I was  upset by a comment another classmate had made to me about the fact that I'm not like everyone else (but obviously my classmates haven't been told this, so they just see me as 'different').

Lets call this classmate Eli and the teacher Ms.M. Okay, so we were doing a reading circle where as a class we go around the room and everyone reads a part of the book, or in this case short story. There's the option to pass if you don't want to read, and in the past years of of school I usually chose this, but starting a new year and in a effor to challenge myself and grow as a person I decided to actualy try to read when it was my turn. When I read I have to do what some people may refer rto as finger reading so that I can fololow where the wrods are in the line where we're reading. Eli made an initiel comment that I was reading too slow and too softly, so I tried to be louder AND faster (that was the harder part) as I continued on with the paragraph. I thought I was doing well, but then he has to point out that I'm finger reading...now, this wouldn't be so bad if he had just asked me, but the fact that he pointed it out the the entire class mortified me...obviously. Come on now....we're in 11th grade, it's NOT necesery to put someone down like that. URGH. So anyways, Ms.M said I could leave the room if I needed for a minute since I was clearly embarrased and upset by his remark, so I went to the bathroom and then just hung outside the room for the last 5 or so mins of class...

Since the class after this was Lunch, Ms.M asked me to stay and talk with her for aminute once everyone else had left. I think it really helped since obviously she's noticed that I finger read, I read slower than other people, and I'm well..different. I don't know if teachers know all of the medical things with students, but now she knows I'm dyslexic. I'll be honest, I try my best to 'hide' the fact that I'm dislexic in school beacuse I don't want to have any different treatment then other kids...but, teahcers are smart and obviously I can't completey hide this fact. I mean, it's part of who I am. Although, we talked a lot about the fact that I can't let other people's comments get to me, but that she knows how hurtful and mean his comment was, the one thing that I'll always alwayas always remember her telling to me is this: "Just be yourself"

She told me that I can get extra help on readings anythime and that she's going to have a talk with Eli, but not outright disclose that I'm dyslexic. So, I think it was befeneficial to talk with her and now she knows why I stuggle in her class, but that I do truly want to be successful with my reading and writing this year.

Okay, so that was kind of scattered, but it was definitely a important part of my junior year so I thought i hsould include it in the blog. Thanks for reading.

Quote: "Out of darkness comes a rainbow."

No comments:

Post a Comment